Yes, we’re definitely behind, but it’s better late than never. Last week, we brought you our top 10 National releases of 2013 and favorite releases from Nashville artists last year. Those votes came up with some “interesting” results (like how did Cage The Elephant not make the cut?) largely because we asked all of the staff to nominate 10 or more of their favorite records in each category, and then we put the top 20 or so nominees to a vote. Needless to say, a lot of cool stuff was probably lost forever in the single nomination pile, and didn’t make the cut.
As we take a look at our favorite shows of last year, we decided to let everyone that was interested have a vote. Before you check out the lists below, let’s have a toast to another great year, and let’s get out to see even more killer music this year.
- Bombino @ Oak Valley Lanes – 6/13/13
- Local Natives @ Live on the Green – 9/5/13
- Those Darlins Record Release show @ Mercy Lounge – 10/4/13
- Jeff the Brotherhood Red Bull Sound Select @ Exit/In – 11/1/2013
Jake Giles Netter
- Lee Fields @ Mercy Lounge – 11/13/13. Funk!
- The Luella & the Sun “After the Fire” Benefit – 8/2/13. Just a great collection of musicians together for an awesome cause.
- Any Bully so far this year. Every one was pretty choice.
- The Oblivians/Cy Barkley @ Exit/In – 9/2/13. Greg Cartwright > Everything. Cy killed it too though.
- Savages @ Nashville Municipal Auditorium – 10/7/13, when they opened for and pretty much completely overshadowed QOTSA
- FIDLAR, Orwells, Bully @ Exit/In – 10/14/13
- The Diarrhea Planet Album Release w/ Hunx and His Punx, The So So Glos, Hunters and Bully @ Exit/In – 8/17/13 – Good to see people in Nashville actually giving a fuck about seeing live music in “Music City”. Who would have thunk. *Drops the Mic*
- QOTSA w/ Savages @ Nashville Municipal Auditorium – 10/7/13
- Marilyn Manson @ War Memorial – 7/9/13
- Chris Isaak @ War Memorial – 9/8/13
- Those Darlins @ Mercy Lounge – 10/4/13
- MUSE w/ Cage The Elephant @ Bridgestone Arena – 9/6/13
- Paul McCartney @ Bonnaroo – 6/14/13 (truly a once in a lifetime experience)
- Jim James w/ Carl Broemel @ The Basement – 2/1/13 (special, special moment that would have clearly been my number one, but it was Paul McCartney.)
- Cage The Elephant Melophobia rehearsal @ Soundcheck Nashville – 8/24/13 (Sometimes our screwed up album voting system leaves out a bad ass release that could be considered both best local and best national album. Regardless, Melophobia is impressive.)
- Freakin Weekend IV ft. JEFF The Brotherhood and Diarrhea Planet @ Exit/In – 3/9/13 (Have you ever seen anyone crowd surf ON THE STAGE? Me either. Enough said.)
- Arctic Monkeys w/ Deap Vally @ Marathon Music Works – 10/8/13 (Every time I’ve seen them I’ve gone in with low expectations, and been BLOWN AWAY)
- Beck Song Reader show for No Country’s Second Anniversary @ The Basement – 5/25/13 (we’re still beside ourselves at what all those incredible Nashville artists did for us and the fans)
- Luella & The Sun “After The Fire” Benefit @ Mercy Lounge – 8/2/13 (amazing to be a part of this incredible event)
- SXSW Send Off Party @ Mercy Lounge/High Watt – 3/2/13 (you guys packed out Mercy and High Watt faster than I have ever seen. What a party!)
- FIDLAR, The Orwells, Bully @ Exit/In – 10/14/13
- Alanna Royale EP Release Show @ The Basement – 1/25/13 (where it all began for our friends in Alanna Royale. who would have thunk that we’d see her five months later at Bonnaroo)
- Deseparacidos w/ So So Glos & Hunters @ Mercy Lounge – 10/28/13 (seeing Conor Oberst in any fashion is pretty special, but an encore with everyone listed and a surprise appearance by Titus Andronicus made this one for the record books)
- East Nashville Underground Winter & Spring 2013 @ The East Room (sniff… let’s do this again soon)
- The entire 2013 Live On The Green series, but particularly the all-local finale featuring Moon Taxi, The Weeks, Will Hoge, and The Wild Feathers. Absolutely amazing.
Honorable mention: Prince & A Tribe Called Quest @ Zona Rosa (SXSW), Austin TX – 3/16/13. Not Nashville, but this show was a sheer miracle. After finagling every angle I could (with a ton of help… thank you), I was blown away to see A Tribe Called Quest listed on the marquis with the senior purple. Simply put, I wish I was soberer, but that was one of the most amazing experiences ever.
- Kanye West w/ Kendrick Lamar; Nov. 27 @ Bridgestone Arena
- Bonnaroo (specifically Paul McCartney); June 13-16
- Sigur Ros; Sept. 27 @ The Woods at Fontanel
- CHVRCHES; Dec. 1 @ Exit/In
- Fall Out Boy; June 30 @ The Ryman Auditorium
- Saves the Day w/ Into It. Over It., Hostage Calm; Oct. 6 @ Exit/In
- Alt-J w/ Lord Huron; Sept. 21 @ The Ryman Auditorium
- Diarrhea Planet w/ The So So Glos, Hunx & His Punx; Aug. 17 @ Exit/In
- Johnny Marr w/ Meredith Sheldon; Nov. 22 @ Marathon Music Works
- Desparecidos w/ The So So Glos; Oct. 28 @ Cannery Ballroom
Honorable Mention: The Postal Service w/ Mates of State; Aug. 4 @ The Metro in Chicago (It wasn’t in Nashville, but it was my favorite show of 2013)