Happy 2016! Last year was, unequivocally, our biggest yet, as we welcomed new contributors, expanded our scope of coverage, and, certainly, found our way to more of you than ever. We’re looking forward to even more growth in the new year, and you’ll definitely see signs of that in the coming weeks as we embark on some beginning of the year housekeeping.
If you’ve been with us for a bit, you’ll likely remember our No Country in a Nutshell weekly recap feature, which highlights a week’s worth of posts in one easy spot. It’s been on hiatus for the better part of a year, but we’re happy to bring it back for 2016 for those of you who want to stay in the loop, but might not have time to pour over every post or social media update. Last week was slower as we edged out of the holidays, but, below, you’ll still find an exclusive premiere, the first in a series of Best Of lists, a couple of cool local releases, and more!
- PREMIERE: We brought you Super Duper‘s official remix of Whissell‘s “Get Free.”
- FEATURE: This Weekend in Nashville: Our staff highlighted the first weekend of the year’s must-see shows.
- FEATURE: It was an especially busy New Year’s Eve, so we put together a guide of all of the best musical happenings.
- FEATURE: We ranked our collective 12 favorite albums of 2015 in our Best National Albums list.
- FEATURE: We updated our official Spotify playlist with tracks from Smooth Hound Smith, Ra Ra Riot, Bryson Tiller, and more.
- SHOW: Moon Taxi rang in the New Year at War Memorial Auditorium with All Them Witches.
- SHOW: The Delta Saints, The Lonely Biscuits, *repeat repeat and more performed at Marathon Music Works on New Year’s Eve!
- SHOW: Nikki Lane played City Winery with Jonathan Tyler.
- RELEASE: White Reaper and local faves Daddy Issues both premiered new singles for a split 7″.
- VIDEO: Local synthpop singer REMMI premiered a video for her buzzworthy new single “Awake, Asleep.”
- VIDEO: Rayland Baxter performed for War Memorial Auditorium’s “Attic Sessions” series, ahead of an upcoming show at Exit/In.