We let our Roo Clue solvin’ slip a little last week, so we’re back today with a double helping (if we make it to #7, it could be a triple!). Can you believe we’re already at the halfway point? In just a few short weeks, Bonnaroo will reveal their full 2014 lineup! This year’s Roo Clues, which are all Instagram-based, have been getting slightly harder each week, and the latest, #5 and #6, are no exception. Nonetheless, we feel pretty good about our answers for clues 1, 2, 3, and 4! After the jump, check out who else you might see this summer on the farm!
Here’s Roo Clue #5:
And Roo Clue #6:
Let’s get to solvin’!
Roo Clue #5 is an ambulance containing what seems to be a flag. What flag that might be, however, is a bit unclear, making this possibly the most ambiguous clue so far. Here’s what we’re thinking:
- Though the flag in question resembles the Swedish flag, it’s white where it should be blue and blue where it should be yellow. Despite this, the pattern matches, and the one Swedish band (who have a new album on the way and an open schedule) who fit the ambulance imagery are First Aid Kit. Could this be an oversight on Bonnaroo’s part? Maybe, but it would be a big one. [verdict: possibly]
- Our next flag possibility could be Finland, however the colors are inverted. A metal crazed country, the only Finnish bands we could imagine at Bonnaroo are Children of Bodom, HIM, or Apocalyptica. There’s also a Finnish band called Husky Rescue, but, despite the “rescue” element, they’re just way too obscure. Though Apocalyptica seem primed for a late night ‘Roo set, the best-fitting answer would likely be Children of Bodom, as they are a death metal band and death = ambulance. [verdict: possibly]
- An even better flag fit would be Shetland, but, since Shetland has no bands to speak of, another possibility is the similarly looking Greek flag. No Greek bands seem like good guesses either, but Greece makes of think of Athens, and America happens to have an Athens as well, and one with a killer music scene. Of the many great Athens bands, the one that best fits is Widespread Panic. They’ll be in the neighborhood, and are no strangers to Roo, so there’s a good chance they’ll turn up, but would the fest give away such a big act ahead of time? Usually, no. [verdict: probably not]
- What if it’s not a flag? There’s no doubt that that’s an ambulance, sure, but what if that symbol inside of it is meant to be a cross? We know we’re going out on a limb here (and breaking the “not revealing bigger bands” statement we just made), and you can call us crazy, but our best guess is The Flaming Lips. They have a song called “Mr. Ambulance Driver” and, more fittingly, an album called In a Priest Driven Ambulance. They’re a Bonnaroo favorite, due for a stop, and as for their schedule? Wide open. [verdict: aw hell who knows]
Roo Clue #6 contains a lumpy pile of hay in an empty field, and the caption encourages us to “step our game up.” Radio Bonnaroo also gave an additional hint, stating that the photo is not of the band or its name, but of something similar sounding. We love puns, and this one seems more straightforward like earlier clues:
- It’s a hay bale and hay bale sounds like Sleigh Bells. They’ve played Bonnaroo before, they have a new record to promote and, as of now, their summer is wide open. Will you seem them at ‘Roo? Almost definitely. [verdict: pretty likely]
- Our one other guess, and, we think, an even better fit is Broken Bells. The hay bale is sitting all alone, and the fact that it’s skewed about in a pile (which contrasts with the green grass surrounding it) seems intentional. They could have just picked a stock, tied up hay bale, but they didn’t, they picked a broken one. Though Sleigh Bells will almost certainly be on the bill, Broken Bells also have an even newer album out, and are lining up festival dates, making them the best solution. [verdict: pretty definite]
Do you agree with our guesses? Think we’ll be seeing The Flaming Lips and Broken Bells this summer in Manchester? Either way, it’s shaping up to be another exciting year!
Our previous Roo Clue solutions:
And don’t forget to check out our 2014 Bonnaroo Lineup Rumors post, which is regularly updated with the lastest info and speculation!