Bonnaroo‘s annual lineup guessing game, Roo Clues, is currently underway, and, similar to last year, it seems that they’ll all be Instagram-based word games (a definite shift from past years with real-life scavenger hunts and elaborate riddles, but we’ll take it). In total, ten clues are set to drop, likely two per week, and will provide hints as to who we can expect to see at this year’s fest. Once again, we’re putting our expert sleuthing skills to work, and doing our best to solve each and every one. After the jump, check out who you can expect to see this summer on the farm!
Here’s Roo Clue #3:
DEMON TO DEMON, THE ANTAGONIST FAREWELL.
- After a series of pretty on the nose clues, this one is definitely throwing us for a bit of a loop. While several decent guesses are floating around, the only one we think makes sense both logistically and in solving the hint is Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
- The easiest way this fits is the second half, as “godspeed” is another way of saying “farewell.”
- The rest is a little looser, but something amount the imagery of demons and an antagonist just feel like they could fit this in same way. A “black emperor” has no real precedent, but seems like a ruler that is dark, antagonizing, or perhaps demonic.
- Additionally, the band have used biblical words in titles, which may tie back into the demon thing.
- Finally, Godspeed! played Marathon Music Works last year, run by Bonnaroo co-promoter AC Entertainment, and their summer schedule is open.
- Is our solution perfect? No, but it feels like the best one, even if we’re missing part of the explanation. [verdict: inconclusive, but still pretty likely]
Do you think we guessed right, or do you think Roo Clue 3 is someone other than Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
Our previous Roo Clue solutions:
Roo Clue 10 | Death Cab for Cutie
Roo Clue 9 | Cashmere Cat
Roo Clue 8 | Grace Potter
Roo Clue 7 | Carrie Underwood
Roo Clue 6 | Judas Priest
Roo Clue 5 | Tyler, the Creator
Roo Clue 4 | Lord Huron
Roo Clue 2 | Lucius
Bonus Clue | Jason Isbell
Roo Clue 1 | Blood Orange
And don’t forget to check out our 2016 Bonnaroo Lineup Rumors post, which is regularly updated with the lastest info and speculation!