We let our Roo Clue solvin’ slip a little once again this week, so we’re back today with a double helping. Can you believe we’re almost there? In just a few short weeks, Bonnaroo will reveal their full 2014 lineup! This year’s Roo Clues, which are all Instagram-based, have been getting slightly harder each week, and the latest, #7 and #8, are no exception. Nonetheless, we feel pretty good about our answers for clues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6! After the jump, check out who else you might see this summer on the farm!
Here’s Roo Clue #7:
And Roo Clue #8:
Let’s get to solvin’!
Roo Clue #7 is a copy of The Shining with author Stephen King’s name misspelled as “Steven,” along with a pair of glasses. This might just be the hardest clue yet:
- The “[sic]” after “Steven King” implies that the misspelling is intentional, which could indicate that it’s an artist named “Steven,” “Steve,” or even “Stevie.” More literally, the “[sic]” could be drawing attention to the change – an omission of a “ph.”
- Additionally, the Radio Bonnaroo clue of the week indicated that this Roo Clue contains three parts- whether or not all three are separate parts of an artist’s name, the three parts seem to be: glasses, book, “Steven King.”
- The “Steven” combined with a lack of glasses (vision) makes Stevie Wonder come to mind, and the singer even has a track called “You Are the Sunshine of My Life.” He’s too big to give away in a Roo Clue, however, and it feels like a stretch. [verdict: nope]
- Another famous Stevie is Stevie Nicks, and her band Fleetwood Mac does have a song called “Love Shines.” Again, too big, and there’s not a good connection for the glasses, however. Despite that, they seem like a good fit for this year’s fest. [verdict: possibly]
- Without glasses, one becomes blind. In The Shining, main character Danny has ultra sensory perception, or a “third eye.” The lead singer of Third Eye Blind is Stephan Jenkins, whose name, like King’s, is spelled with a “ph.” Good, but not perfect, fit and they’re gearing up to release a new album. [verdict: possibly]
- While also not a perfect answer, here’s our best guess: Phosphorescent. The “ph” is highlighted for a reason, phosphorescent objects glow or “shine,” and common name for someone who wears glasses is “four eyes” which sounds like the already-highlighted consonant sound in “phorescent.” On top of that, Phosphorescent is already lining up festival dates. [verdict: likely]
Roo Clue #8 contains a baby in a crown in front of a British flag. The Instagram caption calls it a “toughie,” and Radio Bonnaroo’s additional hint is that it’s not an individual:
- The fact that this isn’t an individual rules out most every initial guess, and few British groups with references to babies and/or monarchs make sense for Bonnaroo, however we have one good guess.
- The picture is, literally, a royal baby, and a British one at that. The most recent royal baby boy’s name is George. Singer Boy George is British, and has a new single, from his forthcoming album, out now called “King of Everything.”
- Though Boy George is an individual, the famous band he was a part of, Culture Club, have been increasingly more active in recent years, and announced last fall that they would perform in 2014. Will it be at ‘Roo? Looks like it! [verdict: pretty likely]
Do you agree with our guesses? Think we’ll be seeing Phosphorescent and Culture Club this summer in Manchester? Either way, it’s shaping up to be another exciting year!
Our previous Roo Clue solutions:
And don’t forget to check out our 2014 Bonnaroo Lineup Rumors post, which is regularly updated with the lastest info and speculation!