Four-piece Nashville resident rockers MODOC bring a huge sound laden with heavy, catchy riffs and tight vocal harmonies. They’ve exploded on the local and national music scene, garnering buzz from appearances at festivals like SXSW, and praise from notable producers and musicians, including Grammy-winning rock producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, Rush, Queens of the Stone Age). After the jump, we’ve got a pair of tickets to give away for MODOC’s CD release show this Friday night at Mercy Lounge, where they will be joined by local law-abiding citizens Blackfoot Gypsies and pop/rockers Goodbye June.
It’s an insane weekend of music here in Nashville. Let the weather hold, and let the games begin. There is rhythm, soul, hip-hop legends, rock, pop, and everything else not country that you would expect us to cover. The full No Country TWiN run-down is below.
Your Weekend Plans Are Here
What a week, huh? If you didn’t manage to catch an awesome show in the past seven days, you’re definitely doing it wrong. I think most of the No Country crew are suffering from post-ENU fatigue, but we still managed to catch quite a few other fantastic shows as well. We also interviewed a legend, caught some killer bands at Beale St., gave away more tickets, brought you some HUGE show announcements, and more!
In case you missed anything, here’s a recap of everything we covered on the site last week:
- NEWS: The National announced a fall show at The Ryman Auditorium with Frightened Rabbit.
- NEWS: Neutral Milk Hotel announced more reunion dates, including several in and around Tennessee.
- NEWS: Justin Timberlake announced a performance at Bridgestone Arena.
- FEATURE: This Weekend in Nashville: We highlighted our picks for the best weekend shows and events around town.
- FEATURE: Kickstarter of the Week: Farewell Flight
- FEATURE: Music on Television: We brought you our picks for the best artists performing on television.
- REVIEW: We caught The Blackfoot Gypsies, The Static Trees, and Zach Ryan and the Renegades at The 5 Spot.
- REVIEW: We gave Hoptpipes‘ new record Dust a spin.
- REVIEW: We recapped our trip to Memphis for the Beale St. Music Festival [w/ PHOTOS].
- REVIEW: We checked out The Black Angels, Hanni El Khatib, and Wall of Death at Mercy Lounge.
- INTERVIEW: We had a chat with Chad Stokes of Dispatch.
- SPOTLIGHT: We told you more about recent Communion Nashville performers Swear and Shake & Tumbleweed Wanderers.
- BONNAROO: Band of the Day: Club Stages Edition, Part 5
- SHOW: East Nashville Underground took place at The East Room, and we brought you lineup previews for Friday, SaturDAY, and Saturday Night.
- SHOW: The Generationals and Brass Bed played at Mercy Lounge, and we gave away tickets.
- SHOW: The Blackfoot Gypsies played at The 5 Spot with The Static Trees and Zach Ryan and the Renegades.
- SHOW: Mercy Bell, Adrian Krygowski, and James Maple performed at The High Watt.
- SHOW: Courtney Jaye played a show and an in-store to celebrate the release of her new album Love and Forgiveness.
- SHOW: East Nashville Underground sponsored an alumni version of 8 Off 8th.
- VIDEO: T. Rust premiered a new music video for “House.”
- CONTEST: We’re giving away tickets for The Breeders‘ show tomorrow at The Cannery Ballroom.
Blackfoot Gypsies?! HELL, you must mean the Cherokee Cowboys or the Drifting Cowboys! It’s Cherokee we know all about here–Willie Nelson, Loretta, Cash, Ray Price, Elvis, Sequoyah, and our beloved East Tennessee neighbors. If you haven’t been to the TN State Pow-Wow or the Qualla Arts Festival–I personally recommend you getcher donk in a woody wagon, grab an RC Cola/Moon-Pie and take a good ol’ road trip. Resist all stereo-type junk. Find yourself an AUTHENTIC dreamcatcher in Cherokee, NC. I have two going on a million. Sadly you can’t visit Chief Henry because he passed away in 2007. I have a picture of an itty bitty me kissing him on the cheek while petting his head dress. He smelled of tobacco and leather. Sniff.
Billy Ray Cyrus. Well, he says he has Cherokee roots, but I have a feeling it was a shitty attempt to justify his hair obsession…
The “Great Spirit” has blessed Nashville once again, brothers and sisters. Fine music packaged in retro-sexy feathers, hair, hats, animal skins, beads, and fringe. Matthew Paige and Zack Murphy are the medicine men that form the duo, Blackfoot Gypsies, a rockin’ roving country/garage/Americana sensation from Nashville. They generate a tribe of fans (who love classic southern rock, blues, 60s-70s guitar gods, bluegrass, and Americana) everywhere their big sweet gypsy hearts take them. They are charming performers who cast a wickedly good musical spell if you’ll just venture to their latest tepee location.
The FIVE SPOT TONIGHT, FOLLOW THIS SMOKE SIGNAL!
It’s time for round two of that annual competition for a shot at a spot at the ‘Roo. Alanna Royale proved victorious in round one (check out the competition here), securing their slot at the festival – and the line-up for this installment is so prime it has the entire No Country crew coming out to partake in the party. Find out who’s on the bill →