Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell’s new album, The Traveling Kind, is being released today, May 12, on Nonesuch Records. The longtime friends’ first duet album, 2013’s Old Yellow Moon, won the Best Americana Album Grammy Award as well as the Americana Music Association’s Album of the Year and Duo/Group of the Year. The new album was produced by Grammy Award winner Joe Henry (Billy Bragg, Elvis Costello, Aimee Mann) and comprises 11 duet tracks, including six new songs written by Harris and Crowell.
Rolling Stone premiered the title track recently praising, “’The Traveling Kind’, set to a nostalgic, chugging beat, carves the path for the record, which floats from Memphis grooves to classic, country-infused folk ballads, telling stories of love, struggle and the very special art of confessing to both through lyric”. The full track listing is below.
1. The Traveling Kind (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Cory Chisel)
2. No Memories Hanging Around (Rodney Crowell)
3. Bring It on Home to Memphis (Rodney Crowell/Larry Klein)
4. You Can’t Say We Didn’t Try (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Cory Chisel)
5. The Weight of the World (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris)
6. Higher Mountains (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Will Jennings)
7. I Just Wanted to See You So Bad (Lucinda Williams)
8. Just Pleasing You (Rodney Crowell/Mary Carr)
9. If You Lived Here, You’d Be Home Now (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris)
10. Her Hair Was Red (Amy Allison)
11. La Danse de la Joie (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Will Jennings)
Harris and Crowell will play a series of intimate shows in support of the record, including two SOLD OUT shows at City Winery Nashville on May 26 and 27.